Last Mile Delivery Case Study
The “last mile” is becoming more critical contributor to a positive customer experience. It has its challenges and pain points which need to be take care by the distributor as it leaves long lasting impression on customer. This article is a case-study on such problem with a quick solution.
Challenge is to locate customer’s actual delivery address/navigation from address(given while placing an order)and to optimized delivery route.
I’ve observed few issues / pain points in the existing flow. I’ve discussed with my friends regarding this last mile delivery also with delivery persons to understand their pain points and overall journey of Last mile delivery.
For better understanding I have conducted the survey which was very helpful to understand/define the pain points of overall Last mile delivery.
Below are the Survey questions
- How often do you shop online ?
- Are you happy with delivery experience of online shopping ?
- Are you happy with last mile delivery experience of online shopping ?
- What type of issues you face during shipment / last mile delivery ?
Lets understand the current approach of Last mile Delivery,
Once the parcel arrived at hub(For last mile delivery phase),It handed over to the delivery person for delivery.If delivery person unable to locate the location ,he contact customer for the navigation,Customer guide him and delivers the shipment
Here is the journey of Delivery person
Pain Points & Challenges
- Customer might miss the call / given phone number is not in network coverage, in such cases delivery person is completely relies on the given address, could ask for help and navigation from road side shops etc., which takes time and increase shipment delivery time than expected.
- Some time customer not able to specifically help user with navigation, as he himself is new to the city, Use case: Relocated to new city, In India relocation is usual for job & study, where person may not know detailed address to navigate delivery person accurately.
- Language barrier: Customer happens to proficient in a language in which delivery person may not familiar with e.g. customer is a fluent English speaker whereas delivery person may not be able to understand English , could be well versed with regional language only, vice versa. Specifically in India where every state has different regional language
Customer end : Customer can provide Geo location along with the address while placing an order
System: System will convert the given Geo location into map link,which can be open on the map,the map link share along with other details as per existing process. Also it can share with delivery team in form of bar code/QR code sticker,placed on the parcel or on the receipt,also can be send or share via existing application used by delivery team.
Delivery Person End :Mal link can be given on the delivery application with the help of maps ,delivery person can plan his route efficiently considering traffic situation.
Customer Mobile App
Delivery person Mobile App
- Reduce dependency on the customer for location related guidance
- Resource optimization.
- Real time delivery tacking for customers using GPS.
- Improve accuracy for delivery time.
- Can be use collected data to analyze shopping tendency region wise, which could be helpful while setting up delivery hub and to optimize delivery time.